Kurus English CC
Language Culture Discovery
Registration for a course(s) occurs once the invoice has been settled and a client has received written confirmation from Kurus English.
Kurus English is open to anyone aged 18 years and over. As an exception, we welcome parents and their children (minimum age 16) – provided they are parentally supervised. Should a minor book a course with Kurus English, parents are required to take full responsibility for the said minor and they need to sign a ‘Guardian Letter’ provided by Kurus English.
Kurus English lessons are of 50 minutes duration, except when stated otherwise. There is a maximum of 8 students per class, providing optimum learning conditions. On request, exceptions regarding our tailor-made programs are possible. Kurus English offers 6 different levels (Beginner, Elementary, Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate and Advanced).
Payments may be effected by bank transfer or by credit card and must be received in full, 28 days prior to the commencement of the course. Bank details are provided on our invoice. Bank fees are for the account of the client.
5. Cancellations and Refunds
Notice of cancellation must be made in writing to Kurus English.
Refunds will be considered under the following circumstances:
- If we receive a written cancellation (by fax, email, post or delivery) 28 days or more before your course is scheduled to begin, we will refund 100% of your fees, minus any non-refundable items, cancellation fee of EUR 150 and bank and transfer costs.
- If we receive your written cancellation 8-27 days before your course is scheduled to start, we will refund 50% of your fees, minus any non-refundable items, cancellation fee of EUR 150 and bank and transfer costs.
- Fees will not be refunded if cancellations, written or otherwise, are received 7 days or fewer before your course is scheduled to begin. In no case will money be refunded once the course and/or lodging stay has begun.
Payment must be received in full, prior to any visa documents being issued. There is a charge of EUR 90 each time documents have to be sent by courier. If a visa application is rejected, and Kurus English receives a certified copy at least 7 days prior to arrival, Kurus English will refund the fees received in full; less the registration fee, the administration fee, any courier fees and any bank charges. A cancellation fee equivalent to 1 week’s accommodation and tuition will apply if we receive a certified copy less than 7 days prior to arrival. Whilst Kurus English endeavours to support students at all times, Kurus English cannot be held responsible for decisions taken by Embassies or Immigration Police regarding entry visas or visa extensions. Should the arrival day be postponed due to delayed visa applications, Kurus English cannot guarantee the original accommodation allocation.
- All courses begin on Mondays. The Kurus English Team will try their best to offer you your chosen course, but we can only be sure of your level of English once you have submitted the online placement test and also, that we have interviewed you on the first day of the course. Sometimes there are not enough students for a particular level to run a course. Should only one student apply to study a particular course, that student will receive 10 private lessons (one-to-one) instead of the usual 20 lessons allotted to a group of students, and 5 private lessons (one-to-one) instead of the usual 10 lessons allotted to a group of students. Duration of each lesson is 50 minutes.
- Examination courses
To be accepted for an Examination course each student must have a required minimum level of English. Any student who wishes to enrol for any Examination course, is first required to submit our Online Placement Test. Additionally, each student will have a telephonic interview conducted by one of our teachers. Thereafter, it will be decided if it is possible and/or advisable for the student to book the examination course or not. The test and interview must be completed 6 weeks prior to the commencement of the Examination course. Registration fees for any examination are not included in the course fee.
- Tailor-made programmes
Kurus English offers tailor-made language opportunities. These programmes are intended especially for companies, governmental groups and others.
8. Online Placement Test
To provide the student with the optimal learning environment, we are required to assess your level of English. Therefore, after the student has paid the full course fee, we will send the student a password giving access to our Online Placement Test. Only once the student has submitted the test online, can she/he be placed in the appropriate class. The student will also be interview on her/his first day at school.
Accommodation with a Host Family or Student Residence in a single room with breakfast is the standard accommodation provided by Kurus English. Rooms are not luxurious, you can expect a bed, night shelf, table and wardrobe. Normally you would share a bathroom with your hosts, it is possible, however, to book your own private bathroom, if you prefer.
More luxurious accommodation, such as Guest Houses or hotels can be provided by Kurus English on request; prices depend on the season and have to be structured individually.
Accommodation is usually allocated from the Saturday before a course starts until the Saturday (11am) after it finishes, unless otherwise indicated. However, if you spend fewer than 6 nights in your accommodation in any particular week, you will not receive any discount. Extra nights can be arranged according to availability and for an additional fee. There is a limit of 3 extra nights, after which an extra week’s price will be charged.
Host Families are carefully selected by Kurus English. They range from married couples to single-person establishments, with or without children or pets. Other students can be accommodated in the same family, subject to availability.
Students are not permitted to extend their accommodation directly with any service provider, which booking service was initially provided and organised by Kurus English itself. All bookings, extensions or changes have to be made with Kurus English directly.
10. Language Excursions
Some courses at Kurus English include a language opportunities programme (Language Excursion). Language Excursions take place 3 times per week, in the afternoon. The Language Excursion programme is equivalent to 10 lessons of 45 minutes duration. Transport, entrance fees and sometimes a meal or snacks and/or refreshments are included. Kurus English provides one language guide (teacher) for a maximum of 10 students of differing levels.
Language Excursions require a minimum English level, to assure appropriate language outcomes. Our recommended minimum level is high Pre-Intermediate.
The Language Excursion programme is organised and conducted by Coffeebeans Routes CC (owner: Mr Iain Harris).
Kurus English does not insure students against illness, accident, theft, or against any loss of personal effects whatsoever, at any time. Neither Kurus English nor its representatives will accept responsibility for any accident that may occur to any student for the duration of a course of study, either during excursions or during any other activities, whether on or off the premises of the institution. Kurus English therefore recommends that students take out full personal insurance cover, including medical and any other foreseeable expenses. This insurance should include loss of fees paid in advance, in total or in part, for a course or for any activity that cannot be attended.
12. Public holidays
Kurus English will be closed on all official public holidays in South Africa. No reduction in price will be considered.
Private lessons (one-to-one) that may have been missed due to public holidays, will be made up to the student at a date that is convenient to both the teacher and the student. No other lessons will be made up whatsoever; this includes the Language Excursions which take place in the afternoon.
13. Kurus English annual leave
Kurus English will be closed for two weeks over the Festive Season (Christmas and New Year) at the end of the year.
14. Place of jurisdiction:
This contract sets out the full basis of the relationship between Kurus English and the client who, by entering into agreement with us, acknowledges that it is governed by the laws of The Republic of South Africa and that in the event of the client bringing any legal action against us, our directors, members, servants, agents, subcontractors or other employees, direct or indirect, that only the courts of The Republic of South Africa shall have jurisdiction.
Should any dispute arise, only the Terms and Conditions in the English language version are legally binding. The Terms and Conditions in all the other languages on our website are provided as an additional service and courtesy to our clients; they are not legally binding.
15. Course Material
If you book a course with Kurus English, the course book will be included in the course fee. If levels are changed within 8 weeks, the student will need to purchase the second book at cost price.
16. Administration and Registration Fee
An administration fee of EUR 75 and a registration fee of EUR 75 are already included in the course fees.
17. Airport Transfers
Transfers to and from the airport can be booked through Kurus English. The maximum waiting time for our driver is 2 hours, after which alternative methods of transport will be arranged. The only condition is that Kurus English has to be informed in time by the student.
Airport Transfer can only be provided when accommodation is booked with Kurus English.
18. Change to prices, dates or programmes
Provided that no confirmation of registration has been issued, Kurus English shall have the right, at any time, to change the dates and prices published in the course schedule, either on the internet or elsewhere.
On conclusion of the contract, Kurus English may amend the published programme of services, provided such amendments are deemed to be unavoidable, are made in good faith, or do not affect the overall style of the course. Especially when different course options (e.g. Opportunity 1: General English and Opportunity 3) are booked, logistical changes might be necessary and courses can be changed by Kurus English at any time. Students will be informed of these changes in our weekly updated timetables, visible inside the school premises.
If material changes are made to key services, the contracting party shall have the right to withdraw from the contract or to request to join an equivalent language course, where Kurus English is able to offer him or her such a course. Kurus English shall notify the contracting party of any such amendment. The contracting party must exercise his or her rights immediately after receipt of such notification from Kurus English.
19. Force Majeure
Kurus English will not be responsible for any failure to comply with any of its obligations (and, therefore, shall not be required to provide any compensation) if the failure is occasioned by any cause beyond Kurus English’s reasonable control; nor shall Kurus English be responsible for any costs incurred by or on behalf of the student as a result of any such cause. Such causes shall include, but shall not be limited to, war, threat of war, riot, civil strife, industrial dispute, terrorist activity, natural or nuclear disaster and unusually adverse weather conditions.
20. Change of terms and conditions
These terms and conditions are subject to change, at any time, by Kurus English.
21. Student performance commitment
- On all Kurus English premises, the only language to be spoken is English.
- It is the student’s responsibility to arrive for lessons on time. If you miss lessons or are late for lessons, you will not be refunded or be able to make them up at a later date. Students must notify Kurus English if they will not be attending school. Student’s who fail to attend 80% will not receive a certificate. Private tuition must be cancelled 48 hours in advance. Only Students, registered for 12 weeks or more, are entitled to a break from studies of not more than 4 weeks.
- Kurus English reserves the right to expel a student for unacceptable behaviour or lack of attendance. This decision is made at Kurus English’s discretion.No refund will be given. Repatriation is at student’s own expense.
- Students may not approach teachers at Kurus English for private tuition outside of Kurus English.
- Students must pay the full cost of any damage they may cause to property at Kurus English and/or at any accommodation booked through Kurus English.
- The students are required to show courtesy to our teachers and each other. The teacher facilitates, directs and mediates all language learning activities.
- Kurus English reserves the right to take still and video footage of students to be used for promotional purposes. If students do not wish to be imaged in anyway, Kurus English will respect their wishes. Please inform us on or before arrival.
22. Student Declaration
I declare, that to the best of my knowledge, the above information I have furnished is true and correct. I understand the binding nature of the general conditions as stated herein and agree to abide by them. I agree to abide by the timetable of payments, and have read and understood the conditions regarding refunds of fees.